Pages

Thursday, June 18, 2009

Dethany

It is Oct 12, 2009. Happiness is shining on me these days. I am looking over my blogs and find this one in my draft box. It was written in June, but I forgot to finish it. Let it remain unfinished then.

******************************************

I am typing this entry from Martha's Vineyard. I am staying here for one day before I head back home for some serious packing. Yesterday my car broke down in the middle of the road because the alternator was dead. Funny thing is that nothing can really stress me out these days. I fixed it in time to make the trip to Martha's Vineyard. I know it will be an adventure to drive my crappy car to Chicago in two days. I joined AAA last night, just in case:-) My friend Cel backed out of the ride in the last minute, so I guess I will have to drive alone or find some random guys or gals on Craigslist.

Research shows that a typical person changes 50% of friends every 7 years. For me, my cycle of friend changing is speeding up. I have recently been less selective in terms of whom to hang out with, and it suddenly opens up a whole new world to me. For a while, I was contemplating to make a trip back to California before my b-school starts, but then I realized there was no point. I have been pretty happy in Boston, and I finally settled down right before my departure. It is a little bit too late, but it is better than other alternatives. In a way, I am at peace.

Now to my friend Dethany. She is a neighbor in the same apt complex. One word to describe her: eccentric. She is very kind and spiritual, feeling a connection to the world and environment. She think all the plants are alive. Once she got a four-leave clover for me in a group picnic, saying it was good luck. I was not paying attention and threw it away along with banana skills and orange peels. I had to pick it up and put it in a small jar of water.

Dethany grew up as a Quaker, the youngest among a band of 4, the only girl in the family. Her father had an affair and her mom died of Alzheimer's. Her two brothers chased girls and eventually settled in the UK, and Dethany moved around a lot but still unmarried in an advanced age. I am not sure whether she will ever get married.

She is an artist at heart. She used to sing in Gilbert and Sullivan shows in high school. She is very easy to entertain.

...

No comments: